Under general supervision of the Assistant Chief Building Official, performs building inspections in residential and commercial field inspections for code and ordinance compliance and enforcement.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbent(s) in this position. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties in this description and incumbent(s) may be required to perform position-related tasks other than those specifically listed in this description.
- Essential Job Functions & Other Important Duties
Essential Job Functions:
- Performs on-site building inspections for safety, code and ordinance compliance with building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, zoning, erosion and sign code requirements.
- Assists in cross training building inspectors in trade codes and ordinances.
- Reviews proposed building and plot plans for compliance with applicable building codes and ordinances.
- Provides technical assistance to building contractors, developers and home owners.
- Maintains inspection and code enforcement records and files and computer database.
- Researches, reviews and interprets applicable building trade codes and ordinances.
Other Important Duties:
- Monitors and enforces building codes and ordinances related to life safety issues of the public.
- Travels to construction sites, meetings, conferences and training.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Job Requirements
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of commercial and residential building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical and inspection health and safety rules, regulations, codes and ordinances.
- Knowledge of building construction material specifications and tolerances.
- Knowledge of building code enforcement practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of customer service practices and techniques.
- Knowledge of computers and related equipment, hardware and software.
- Knowledge of City policies and procedures.
- Skill in effective oral and written communications.
- Skill in providing technical code enforcement and building inspection assistance to builders, contractors, developers and homeowners.
- Skill in recognizing substandard, faulty or hazardous building conditions and materials.
- Skill in recommending alternative construction materials to meet building code compliance.
- Skill in interpreting and enforcing building codes and ordinances.
- Skill in resolving customer complaints and concerns.
Preferred Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- High School Diploma or G.E.D., and two (2) years journey level electrical or plumbing construction experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- International Code Council Model Code Certificate in one of the trades such as building, electrical, plumbing, or mechanical preferred or must obtain International Code Council Building Inspector Certificate within six (6) months from date of employment.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screening and/or post-offer physical exam.
- Must possess State of Texas Drivers License.
- Environmental Factors & Conditions/Physical Requirements
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Work is performed in office and construction site environments.
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as typing, data entry and vision to monitor.
- May be subject to extended periods of standing, walking on rough terrain, bending, reaching, kneeling, climbing ladders, confined spaces, heights and lifting trade testing equipment and ladders and work in inclement weather.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
Equipment and Tools Utilized:
- Equipment utilized includes personal computer, copier, calculator, fax machine, other standard office equipment, trades testing equipment and department vehicles.