Under general supervision of the Senior Construction Inspector, manages and inspects construction projects to monitor compliance with specifications, standards, materials and methods that meet or exceed City specifications in the installation of streets, wet utilities and franchise utilities and to keep the public safe during construction.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbent(s) in this position. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties in this description and incumbent(s) may be required to perform position-related tasks other than those specifically listed in this description.
- Essential Job Functions & Other Important Duties
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides construction site inspections and project management for street paving, subgrade, wet utilities, franchise utilities and capital improvement projects.
- Attends preconstruction, preliminary and final inspection meetings and provides technical support related to assigned job functions and projects to contractors.
- Provides project status updates and reviews to the Chief Construction Inspector and other staff as necessary.
- Prepares narrative and written technical reports related to construction site inspections and contract specifications for Construction Inspection Division.
- Reviews sanitary sewer videos, field densities, gradations, and lime depths for City standards and plots final results on drawings.
- Responds to and resolves customer, contractor, developer and general public complaints, concerns and questions related to plan review and assigned capital improvement construction inspection projects.
Other Important Duties:
- Inspects accepted projects to conduct annual maintenance checks.
- Travels to construction sites, meetings, conferences and training.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work hours is essential.
- Job Requirements
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of construction inspection techniques and procedures.
- Knowledge of construction materials and supply specifications and standards.
- Knowledge of measuring instruments, probe and hand excavation tools.
- Knowledge of civil construction methods, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of computers and related equipment, hardware and software.
- Knowledge of City policies and procedures.
- Skill in effective oral and written communications.
- Skill in inspecting, reviewing, evaluating, and modifying, construction plans.
- Skill in analyzing technical reports for compliance with material specifications.
- Skill in enforcing applicable Federal, State and City construction codes and ordinances.
- Skill in mediating differences among contractors, developers, and inspectors.
- Skill in resolving customer complaints and concerns.
Preferred Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- High School Diploma or G.E.D., and two (2) years street and wet utility construction, planning or engineering design experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- TEEX training in Work Zone Safety, Water, Sewer, Lime, Cement, and Construction Inspection.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen, MVR and criminal background check.
- May be required to pass pre-employment physical agility exam.
- Must possess valid State of Texas Drivers License.
- Environmental Factors & Conditions/Physical Requirements
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Work is performed in office and construction site environments.
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as typing, data entry and vision to monitor.
- May be subject to walking over rough terrain, bending, reaching, kneeling or climbing ladders into trenches or up on roofs when inspecting construction and land development sites.
- May be subject to exposure to extreme weather conditions, hazardous materials and chemicals, heavy construction equipment, confined spaces, heights, air and water borne pathogens.
- Must be able to lift up to 70 pounds.
Equipment and Tools Utilized:
Equipment utilized includes personal computer, copier, calculator, fax machine, other standard office equipment, probes, manhole key, measuring instruments, hand excavation tools and department vehicles.