Equipment Operator II - Water
Under the general supervision of a crew leader or assigned department supervisor, operates a variety of heavy and light construction equipment in the maintenance, repair, and construction of water and sewer lines. Participates in general maintenance and labor activities as necessary for timely completion of projects and work orders.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbent(s) in this position. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties in this description and incumbent(s) may be required to perform position-related tasks other than those specifically listed in this description.
- Essential Job Functions & Other Important Duties
Essential Job Functions:
- Operates backhoe, skidsteer, frontend loader, trencher and other heavy equipment.
- Maintains, installs, repairs and constructs water and sewer utilities for the City.
- Digs, hauls, sets rebar and forms, pours and finishes concrete pads.
- Hauls and operates heavy and light equipment to and from assigned worksites.
- Conducts safety inspections of vehicles and equipment, sets up barricades, cones and road signs, and wears protective and safety gear as indicated for the work assignment.
- Prepares, gathers and transports tools, materials, supplies and equipment necessary to complete work assignments.
- Assists Crew Leaders other crew members to complete work orders in a safe and timely manner.
- Cleans and repairs work site upon completion of construction including laying grass, replanting trees, and repairing damaged surfaces.
- Operates street sweeper as assigned.
Other Important Duties:
- Provides backup assistance, on-call coverage and support to other City departments as assigned.
- Travels to and from worksites, and to attend meetings, conferences and training.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Job Requirements
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of maintenance and repair techniques for a variety of heavy and light equipment.
- Knowledge of construction and installation methods and practices of area of assignment.
- Knowledge of occupational safety and health regulations, practices and procedures for area of assignment.
- Knowledge of blueprints, as-builts and design layouts.
- Knowledge of City policies and procedures.
- Skill in effective oral and written communications.
- Skill in following oral and written directions related to area of assignment.
- Skill in planning and organizing materials, supplies and equipment necessary to complete assigned tasks.
- Skill in effectively providing assistance and instruction to work crews.
- Skill in following occupational safety and health procedures.
Preferred Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- High School Diploma or G.E.D., and two (2) years heavy and light equipment operation and construction experience in assigned area; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screening and/or post-offer physical exam.
- Must possess State of Texas class "B" CDL Drivers License.
- Environmental Factors & Conditions/Physical Requirements
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Work is performed in work site and construction environments.
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as twisting and upper body motion, braking, and operating levers when operating heavy equipment, or manually assisting in maintenance and repair for assigned area.
- May be subject to exposure to extreme weather conditions, confined spaces, trenches, hazardous chemicals, fumes, air and water borne pathogens.
- May be subject to climbing, bending, reaching, kneeling, loading, unloading, transporting, lifting or carrying such as when retrieving or replacing materials, tools, equipment and landscaping.
- Must be able to lift up to 90 pounds.
Equipment and Tools Utilized:
- Equipment utilized includes heavy and light construction equipment including back hoes, graders and dump trucks, trailers and department vehicles, hand and power tools, blue prints, as-builts, and blue stakes of marked utility lines.