Maintenance Worker - Meters - Starting Pay $15.00 hr.
Under general supervision of the Meter Supervisor, with direction from the Crew Leader, the Maintenance Worker for the Meter division performs maintenance, repairs and installations on all city owned and operated Meters and meter equipment. This position also provides support to the public and assigned City departments and divisions.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbent(s) in this position. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties in this description and incumbent(s) may be required to perform position-related tasks other than those specifically listed in this description.
- Essential Job Functions & Other Important Duties
Essential Job Functions:
- Maintains, installs, repairs, replaces and connects/disconnects water meters to complete work orders and assignments.
- Completes reports on daily work assignments and activities as required.
- Organizes tools, equipment and supplies necessary to complete assignments.
- Inspects, cleans and maintains equipment and tools in safe operating order.
- Performs routine inspections of assigned areas to detect any necessary repairs or hazardous conditions.
- Maintains safety regulations including wearing appropriate clothing, erecting proper barricades and signage and using proper equipment and tools.
Other Important Duties:
- Provides backup assistance, on-call coverage and support to other City departments as assigned.
- May occasionally be required to work on-call, evenings or weekends.
- Travels to attend meetings and training.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work hours is essential.
- Job Requirements
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of general maintenance and repair techniques for water, electrical, mechanical and plumbing systems depending on area of assignment.
- Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of assigned light equipment, power and hand tools.
- Knowledge of safe handling techniques of hazardous chemicals and materials.
- Knowledge of City policies and procedures.
- Skill in following oral and written communications.
- Skill in planning and organizing materials and supplies necessary to complete work orders or daily assignments.
- Skill in operating assigned equipment and tools.
- Skill in resolving customer complaints and concerns.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to follow City policies and procedures.
Preferred Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- Prefer High School Diploma or GED or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- May be required to obtain Class C Water Distribution license within six (6) months from date of employment.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen, criminal background MVR and physical agility test.
- Must possess valid State of Texas Drivers License.
- Environmental Factors & Conditions/Physical Requirements
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Work is performed in an outdoor environment.
- May be subject to repetitive motion and heavy manual labor such as painting, digging, building concrete forms, repairing asphalt, transporting, delivering and picking up trash containers and recyclables and water meters.
- May be subject to extended periods of sitting, standing, bending, reaching, kneeling, entering enclosed spaces, climbing ladders, and lifting such as repairing water and sewer lines, installing meters, weeding, landscaping, mowing grass and operating other equipment.
- May be exposed to moving traffic, extreme weather conditions, hazardous chemicals, fumes, heights, confined spaces, trenches, air and water borne pathogens, body fluids, infectious diseases, rodents and insects.
- Must be able to lift up to 80 pounds.
Equipment and Tools Utilized:
- Equipment utilized includes shovel, hand/power tools and equipment specific to area of assignment, ladders, testing equipment, generators, water pumps, and department vehicles.