Under general direction of the Purchasing Manager, the Senior Buyer/P-Card Administrator is responsible for coordinating, implementing and administering the City's procurement card (P-Card) program. Serves as the liaison between the City, card holders and the procurement card vendor. In addition, this position is responsible for the planning, coordination, scheduling, and processing of bids and proposals. This position ensures compliance with posting and advertising requirements as well as oversees the bid administration for all annual contracts; monitors bid and contract requirements from preparation of specifications to end of contract term. The position also communicates with vendors in retrieving specifications and bid evaluations and ensures coordination and monitoring of procurement processes of the City's needs for goods and services.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbent(s) in this position. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties in this description and incumbent(s) may be required to perform position-related tasks other than those specifically listed in this description.
- Essential Job Functions & Other Important Duties
- Administers procurement card contract with vendor and performs research to implement the most recent advances in card technology.
- Troubleshoots procurement card issues with users as they arise.
- Communicates with other City Departments to ensure a seamless upload of procurement data transaction details to the general ledger system.
- Develops and facilitates P-Card training programs.
- Monitors P-Card activity, compliance with policies and procedures and usage patterns; investigates unusual patterns and analyzes expenditures; provides statistical data upon request.
- Analyzes City's total business requirements in various commodities to determine optimal method for procurement and project timelines and related schedules to ensure needs are met in a timely manner.
- Processes procurement card transactions in accordance with internal control standards; manages accounts and profiles, deactivates accounts, and drives reconciliation transactions.
- Supports audits on selected accounts; facilitates document archiving and retrieves documents requested for financial audits.
- Transmits, tracks confirmations, and files all procurement related documents in a timely manner ensuring compliance with corporate documentation and retention procedures.
- Communicates with cardholders on any questionable charge and clarifies all issues with departmental supervisors.
- Prepares and interprets reports in Excel, P-Card software, and City's ERP System.
- Serves as reference helpdesk for cardholder questions and assists cardholders with various issues. Provides training over-the-phone and in-person.
- Creates, modifies, suspends, and/or cancels cardholder accounts as needed during normal business hours and after-hours when necessary.
- Coordinates preparations and review of specifications for bids/proposals; including creating electronic files and coordinating the tracking process.
- Assists in developing and maintaining an annual bid/contract list to provide City departments with current contract information.
- Facilitates cooperative purchasing agreements and execution of interlocals with other government agencies.
- Coordinates and manages information within the City's e-procurement software.
- Recommends and assists with the implementation of contract process improvements by identifying contracting issues and practices requiring modifications and clarifications of existing policies and procedures and provides recommendations to Buyers and administration.
- Ensures all bids/proposals are advertised via newspaper and published to the City website in accordance with state laws and procurement procedures.
- Provides guidance and ensures effective tracking for contract administration, compliance and spreadsheets by organizing, maintaining and electronically tracking all contracts and related documents while ensuring spreadsheets are maintained and current.
- Provides customer service and support to maintain and establish effective working relationships with other City employees, officials and vendors.
- Conducts formal bid openings for competitive solicitations; performs detailed analysis of bids to determine responsiveness to the solicitation; evaluates bidder's responsibility based on previous contract performance; creates spreadsheets to detail evaluations for purchasing analysis.
- Conducts periodic audits of contracts to ensure compliance with contact requirements, terms, conditions, and billing; prepares audit reports when necessary to document any contract deficiencies; submits written notification of deficiencies to vendor and administration; and resolves any discrepancies between contracted parties.
- Communicates with vendors to locate goods and services as needed.
- Maintains accurate records and prepares written reports and correspondence.
- Assists with day to day processes as needed such as processing requisitions, issuing purchase orders, understanding budgetary issues and developing a working knowledge of the City's procurement systems.
- Negotiates price and terms of Purchase Orders with prospective vendors and suppliers.
Other Important Duties:
- Creates and implements reports, correspondence, and projects when required.
- May travel off site to attend training.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work hours is essential.
- Job Requirements
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal guidelines, regulations for procurement of supplies and materials in municipal government.
- Knowledge of City policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of computers and related equipment, hardware and software for area of assignment.
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to identify problems and propose solutions in a timely manner.
- Ability to gather and analyze data and draw conclusions and present data and other information in a clear and logical manner.
- Ability to handle tasks with minimal supervision and direction.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive and effective working relationships with vendors, managers, employees and other agencies.
- Ability to resolve problems quickly and effectively.
- Skill in resolving customer complaints and concerns.
- Skill in effectively reviewing work and providing technical assistance to assigned staff.
- Must possess strong written and oral communication skills.
Education, Training, Experience, Certificates, and/or Licenses:
- Bachelor's Degree in related field plus four (4) years progressively responsible experience in public procurement or purchasing card administration functions to include relevant experience in administering purchasing cards, handling contracts and procurements through the entire procurement process; or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB) or Certified Purchasing Card Professional (CPCP) Certification preferred.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen, criminal background check and MVR check.
- Must possess valid State of Texas class C driver's license.
- Environmental Factors & Conditions/Physical Requirements
- Work is performed primarily in an office environment; may also be exposed to storage/warehouse facilities, parts rooms and construction site environments.
- May be subject to exposure to extreme weather conditions, potentially hazardous substances, dust, fumes and high noise levels.
- Crouching - bending body forward by bending leg, spine.
- Fingering - picking, pinching, typing, working with fingers rather than hand.
- Handling - picking, holding, or working with whole hand.
- Hearing 1 - perceiving sounds at normal speaking levels, receive information.
- Kneeling - bending legs at knee to come to rest at knees.
- Lifting - raising objects from lower to higher position, moving objects side to side, using upper extremities, back.
- Mental Acuity - ability to make rational decisions through sound logic, deductive reasoning.
- Reaching - extending hands or arms in any direction.
- Repetitive Motion - substantial movements of wrists, hands, fingers.
- Speaking - expressing ideas with spoken word, convey detailed, important instructions accurately, concisely.
- Stooping - bending body downward, forward at waist, with full motion of lower extremities and back.
- Talking 1- expressing ideas by spoken word.
- Visual Acuity 1 - prepare, analyze data, transcribing, computer terminal, extensive reading.
- Walking - on foot to accomplish tasks, long distances, or site to site.
Equipment and Tools Utilized:
- Work performed is primarily light work, exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force to move objects.
- Equipment utilized includes personal computer, copier, calculator, fax machine, cellular telephone, and department vehicles.