Under general supervision of the Planning Manager or his/her designee, the Planner performs professional review of municipal planning applications and completes special projects. This position also enforces the Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances, and provides staff support to elected and appointed officials.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbent(s) in this position. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties in this description and incumbent(s) may be required to perform position-related tasks other than those specifically listed in this description.
- Essential Job Functions & Other Important Duties
Essential Job Functions:
- Acts as project manager for the duration of development applications including but not limited to zoning requests, plats and site plan applications.
- Reviews, approves and releases zoning, development and façade plans.
- Coordinates with all applicable City departments to complete reviews and approvals of development, construction and landscape plans.
- Assists in meeting the objectives of the City Council's Strategic Goals and the Department's Five-Year Strategic Plan.
- Meets with developers, architects and engineers for pre-and post-development review and compliance and implementation of the Comprehensive Plan and the Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances.
- Prepares professional staff reports and recommendations for presentation to the Planning & Zoning Commission and City Council.
- Ensures all reports and recommendations are developed in accordance with applicable ordinances and policies and are suitable for placement on agendas for action,
- Presents data, statistical and project information, and proposes ordinance and development standards at public meetings.
- Enforces planning, zoning and development ordinances.
- Conducts special research projects
- Develops and issues impact fee assessments on related planning and zoning projects.
- Assists in the preparation of Development Agreements.
- Responds to inquiries and complaints from the public.
- Conducts on site reviews of zoning and development projects.
- Complies with all City policies and procedures.
- Seeks innovative solutions to difficult or unusual development proposals.
Other Important Duties:
- Travels to attend meetings, conferences and training.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work hours is essential.
- Job Requirements
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of Federal, State, regional and City zoning, subdivision and comprehensive planning regulations, ordinances and codes.
- Knowledge of developing, amending, implementing and enforcing codes and ordinances.
- Knowledge of database development, maintenance and retrieval and geographical information system utilization for layer mapping.
- Knowledge of City policies and procedures.
- Ability to work in a collaborative, team environment with other City employees, applicants and citizens.
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service skills.
- Ability to research, analyze, develop, interpret and implement techniques for planning and zoning proposals.
- Ability to complete assignments with limited direction and supervision.
- Ability to work under deadlines and stressful situations.
- Ability to resolve problems quickly and effectively.
- Proficiency in the use of computers and computer programs to include: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other MS programs.
- Skill in reading, interpreting and analyzing maps, exhibits, legal descriptions, plats, site plans and elevation drawings.
- Skill in effective oral and written communications.
- Skill in conducting inspections and investigations and enforcing codes, ordinances and regulations.
- Skill in planning, recommending, developing and implementing public policies and procedures related to urban planning and zoning.
- Skill in mediating, negotiating and resolving customer complaints and concerns.
- Must possess strong organizational skills and be detail oriented.
Preferred Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- Bachelors Degree in Urban Planning, Public Administration, Landscape Architecture or related field, and two (2) years of urban planning, public administration and/or related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen, criminal background check and MVR check.
- Must possess State of Texas Drivers License.
- Environmental Factors & Conditions/Physical Requirements
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Work is generally performed in an office, but on-site field inspections are required and may occur in extreme weather conditions.
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as typing, data entry and vision to monitor.
- May be subject to exposure to heavy equipment common to construction sites.
- May be subject to extended periods of standing, walking over rough unstable terrain and lifting when conducting site inspections, reviewing subdivision and development plans, or presenting information at public meetings.
- May be exposed to hostile or angry citizens and/or developers.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds.
Equipment and Tools Utilized:
- Equipment utilized includes personal computer, copier, scanner, engineering and architect scales and department vehicle.