Police Records Clerk
Under general supervision of the Records Manager, processes, enters, stores, retrieves, and backs up public police records. Provides customer service to the public for alarm permits, copies of arrest reports, police reports, accident and incident reports or records, or media briefing reports.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbent(s) in this position. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties in this description and incumbent(s) may be required to perform position-related tasks other than those specifically listed in this description.
- Essential Job Functions & Other Important Duties
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides customer service to walk-in customers by issuing alarm permits, solicitor permits, RV permits, and copies of incident, accident, arrest, and offense reports.
- Collects fees and provides receipts for monies received and prepares daily cash reports.
- Answers and transfers telephone calls to appropriate personnel.
- Approves information, offense, and arrest reports in accordance with office policy and the Uniform Crime Reporting program.
- Approves crash reports, makes copies to forward to the Texas Department of Public Safety and city staff.
- Processes alarm permits by accepting fee and application and entering into the database.
- Processes solicitor permit applications by accepting fee, performing criminal history check, and entering into database.
- Performs local background check for citizens, prepares letter, and mails to appropriate person or entity.
- Enters citations.
- Processes block party requests and forwards to appropriate city staff.
- Expunges adult or restricts juvenile record to comply with court order.
- Assists with the processing of Public Information Requests in accordance with the Texas Public Information Act.
- Opens and distributes U.S. and interdepartmental mail to department personnel.
- Orders office supplies and distributes to department personnel.
Other Important Duties:
- Notarizes official records and reports.
- Assists with non-English speaking customers.
- Travels to attend meetings, conferences and training.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work hours is essential.
- May be required to work evenings and overtime
- Job Requirements
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of rules and regulations related to public police record maintenance and storage.
- Knowledge of customer service methods and techniques.
- Knowledge of computers and related equipment, hardware and software to maintain multiple databases and spreadsheets.
- Knowledge of City policies and procedures.
- Skill in effective oral and written communications.
- Skill in collecting, providing change and receipting monies for records fees, alarm and solicitor permits.
- Skill in entering, retrieving, copying, tracking and storing police records, files and reports.
- Skill in resolving customer complaints and concerns.
Preferred Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- High School Diploma or G.E.D., and one (1) year customer service experience in office environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- May be required to obtain National Crime Information Center and Texas Crime Information Center Certifications.
- May be required to be fluent (oral and written) in both English and Spanish.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen, criminal background and MVR check.
- Must possess valid State of Texas Drivers License.
- Must be able to pass a computer skills test.
- Environmental Factors & Conditions/Physical Requirements
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Work is performed in an office setting.
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as typing, data entry and vision to monitor.
- May be subject to frequent standing, bending, reaching, kneeling and lifting such as retrieving or replacing public records of files.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds.
Equipment and Tools Utilized:
- Equipment utilized includes personal computer, copier, calculator, fax machine, other standard office equipment, cash register and department vehicles.