Senior Recreation Leader
Under general supervision of a Senior Center Supervisor, assists with supervision and general operations of the Senior Center. Assists Senior Adult Programmers and other staff with senior programs, activities, services and special events. Assists in monitoring and enforcing department procedures ensuring safe participation in senior recreational programs, services, activities and special events. Assists in supervision of Senior Aides and volunteers providing customer service at the Senior Center front desk/member check-in area.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbent(s) in this position. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties in this description and incumbent(s) may be required to perform position-related tasks other than those specifically listed in this description.
- Essential Job Functions & Other Important Duties
Essential Job Functions:
- Assists in the supervision of the Senior Recreation Center including monitoring participants in the safe and proper use of facilities and equipment.
- Assists Recreation Aides with front desk duties such as registration, check-in, membership or class payments, record and file updates and maintenance, room setup, and cleaning facilities and equipment.
- Responds to customer inquiries and complaints.
- Conducts or assists with activities, special events, or classes.
- Aides with coordinating special events including purchasing supplies, working with vendors, selecting entertainment and directing volunteers.
- Aides in the public reservations of the facility, handling bookings, payments, and working scheduled rentals.
- Maintains inventory of needed goods and equipment for the facility, works with contracted vendors, places order and handles payment of invoices.
- Assist with editing the monthly Senior Center Newsletter
- Recruits, supervises, trains, schedules, and tracks hours of facility's volunteers.
- Oversees all aspects of the facility in the absence of Senior Center Supervisor.
- Oversees all aspects of senior recreation programming in the absence of Senior Recreation Programmers.
- Assists with daily transportation when necessary
- Assists in providing activity and service information to visitors and participants.
- Assists with running errands for the center as needed.
- Notifies customers of cancellations, membership renewal, program changes or balances due as needed.
- Balances cash drawer and prepares bank deposits
- Performs all opening and closing procedures of the assigned facilities.
- Responds to emergency situations that arise on duty and provides a written incident report to Facility Supervisor
- Processes and receives invoices and receipts using accounting software
- May assist with interviewing and training Senior Center Recreation Aides
Other Important Duties:
- Maintains and enforces health and safety rules and regulations.
- Substitutes for other staff members as assigned.
- Performs basic facility maintenance.
- Travels to attend special events, meetings, conferences and training.
- Work schedules will vary including weekdays, evenings and weekends due to Senior Center operational hours.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work hours is essential.
- Job Requirements
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of recreational opportunities available at assigned facility.
- Knowledge of money handling practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of City policies and procedures.
- Proficiency in the use of computers and related equipment, hardware and software.
- Skill in effective oral and written communications.
- Skill in implementing departmental rules, procedures and objectives.
- Skill in effectively supervising and delegating duties to assigned staff.
- Skill in resolving customer complaints and concerns.
Preferred Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- One (1) years of college level coursework in Recreation or related field, and one (1) year1 working with seniors, programming or special events planning experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must possess current CPR and First Aid Certifications within three (3) months from date of employment.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen, physical agility, criminal background and MVR check.
- Must possess valid State of Texas Driver's License.
- Commercial Driver's License preferred
- Environmental Factors & Conditions/Physical Requirements
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Work is performed in office, trips, and outdoor environments.
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as typing, data entry and vision to monitor.
- May work extended hours, evenings and weekends.
- May be subject to extended periods of standing, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling and lifting such as setting up, conducting and cleaning up program activities, opening and closing facilities, meetings, and information booths at public events, or assisting with coordination and management of assigned activities at special events.
- May be subject to exposure to air and water borne pathogens, body fluids, and infectious diseases when applying CPR, First Aid or cleaning facilities.
- May be subject to exposure to extreme weather conditions and hazardous driving conditions.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
Equipment and Tools Utilized:
- Equipment utilized includes personal computer, copier, calculator, fax machine and other standard office equipment, recreational equipment, cash register, cleaning supplies, and department vehicles.