Under general supervision of the Management Information Systems/Computer Technology Manager, this position is responsible for maintaining a highly available and secure information technology infrastructure throughout the City. Responsible for networking (wired and wireless); mobile, server, and communications hardware and software; security; application software; report development; desktop, user support; and interfacing with third party suppliers.
- Essential Job Functions & Other Important Duties
Essential Job Functions:
- Oversees the day-to-day operations infrastructure services.
- Researches, defines and implements operational solutions as directed by management staff.
- Oversees client service delivery system for all city personnel end users across all city locations and equipment.
- Monitors servers and applications to ensure high availability, usability, and security.
- Provides server and network administration and other related support, including maintenance and operation of a diverse array of Windows (2000 through the latest server release) servers and systems.
- Pursues and develops working knowledge on a wide range of applications and systems to include Active Directory, IIS, SQL, Exchange, Sharepoint, etc. as an adjunct support provider to ensure systems availability.
- Monitors ticketing queues in help desk system to address issues in a timely manner, recording solutions, and escalating as required.
- Supports storage solutions (NetApp, DFS, local) for all city locations.
- Executes on server hardware and software life-cycle management policies and procedures.
- Researches and formulates technical installation, corrective and preventative maintenance standards and procedures.
- Participates on projects as a technical advisor/expert team member and occasionally leads technical projects.
- Develops technical documentation, operational documentation and training material as requested.
- Participates in the on-call rotation/after-hours support, ensuring uptime of critical servers, networks and applications and coordinate with third party providers and other members of city staff
- Assists in the maintenance and enhancement of system monitoring services to track performance, events, physical environment, security, and age of all systems to increase overall effectiveness.
- Assists staff throughout the Enterprise in troubleshooting and resolving issues assigned to the help desk system.
- Sets up, installs, upgrades, maintains, troubleshoots and modifies computer hardware and software for Local Area Network (LAN) and Wide Area Network (WAN) and mobile data communications networks and devices to include servers, switches, routers, hubs.
- Acts as key resource for city-wide infrastructure to include fiber backbone, and leased telecommunication services.
- Sets up, installs, upgrades, maintains, troubleshoots and modifies computer hardware and software for desktop computer systems and laptops to best meet the end user's needs
- Upgrades PC software as required. Installs and configures workstations, servers and operating systems.
- Completes daily automated procedures including systems back up or production runs.
- Completes research and development, design, configuration, and installation of infrastructure areas including but not limited to servers, network, voice, data, video, etc.
Other Important Duties:
- May be required to act as Team Lead.
- May travel to attend meetings, presentations, conferences and training.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work hours is essential.
- Job Requirements
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of hardware, software and peripheral equipment maintenance, repair, setup, modification and troubleshooting methods, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of managed storage systems, both NAS and SAN.
- Knowledge and understanding of security threats and anti-virus systems.
- Knowledge of customer service and training methods and practices.
- Knowledge of City policies and procedures.
- Proficient in configuration, design and management of Cisco switches, routers and firewalls.
- Proficient skills with LAN/WAN administration concepts and practices.Must be knowledgeable with PC administration concepts and practices. MS Windows OS, MS Office environment, Active Directory.
- Proficient in the setup and administration of current Windows Server applications such as Exchange, SQL Server, Active Directory, Sharepoint, OCS/Lync, VPN.
- Proficient in the setup and administration of server virtualization technologies such as Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware.
- Proficient in the setup and installation of current Windows Desktop OS.
- Proficient in the setup and installation of Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to communicate technical issues and problems with end users in a manner which is understandable to those without technical training.
- Skill in responding, troubleshooting and resolving technical automated management information systems issues over the telephone, electronically or on site.
- Skill in implementing departmental procedures and objectives.
- Skill in effectively transporting, setting up, installing, uninstalling, modifying, upgrading and operating multiple networking systems and software programs.
- Skill in resolving customer complaints and concerns.
Preferred Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- Associate's Degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, or related field, and five years of LAN, WAN or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of MSSQL 2008, 2008r2, and SQL 2012
- Knowledge of indexes, index management, statistics, data warehousing, security procedures
- Knowledge of backups, restoration and recovery models
- Knowledge to troubleshoot and resolve database problems
- MCDBA certification preferred
- MCSE or MCSA certifications preferred.
- Experience with 24/7/365 systems operations in a production envrionment.
- May be required to obtain applicable certifications (e.g. Cisco, Microsoft, NetApp).
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen, criminal background check and post-offer physical agility exam.
- Must possess valid State of Texas Driver's License.
- Environmental Factors & Conditions/Physical Requirements
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Work is performed in office and on-site environments.
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as typing, data entry and vision to monitor.
- May be subject to standing or sitting for extended periods, bending, reaching, kneeling, crawling, lifting and carrying such as setting up, installing, modifying, repairing and troubleshooting automated management information systems, personal computer equipment and related peripherals, and setting up training rooms.
- May be subject to exposure to extreme weather conditions when loading, unloading, transporting or installing automated Management Information Systems and personal computer stations.
- May be subject to electrical currents and electrical shock.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screening, background check and post-offer physical agility exam.
- Must possess State of Texas Drivers License.
Equipment and Tools Utilized:
- Equipment utilized includes personal computer, copier, calculator, fax machine, other standard office equipment, hand tools, computer peripherals and department vehicles.