Under general direction of the Assistant Finance Director, the Treasury Analyst performs accounting duties, including general ledger reconciliations, banking reconciliations, financial reporting, recordkeeping and general financial record keeping; maintains a variety of accounts and subsidiary ledgers for the treasury function of the City; and performs a variety of accounting functions relative to assigned areas of responsibility.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbent(s) in this position. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties in this description and incumbent(s) may be required to perform position-related tasks other than those specifically listed in this description.
- Essential Job Functions & Other Important Duties
Essential Job Functions:
- Creates a cash flow and liquidity program which includes analyzing expected revenue and expenditures to ensure liquidity to fund debt service, weekly check disbursements, payroll and capital projects.
- Determines investable funds for short-term and long-term investment transactions and recommends investment buys to City Investment Officers.
- Calculates collateralization levels based on market value to ensure the City's investments and bank accounts are adequately collateralized on a daily basis.
- Reviews Banking Account Analysis and compares to the Depository Bank Agreement to be sure that City is being charged correct monthly banking fees.
- Assists in obtaining market information from the City's Investment Advisors, reviews and analyzes investment offerings and official statements and assists in investing City funds.
- Reconciles banking and investment activities to the general ledger and prepares required reports for City Council review.
- Maintains the outstanding check listing for all City bank accounts.
- Performs professional accounting functions in compliance with generally accepted accounting practices.
- Posts data to various ledgers, registers, journals and logs according to established accounting standards and procedures.
- Prepares journal vouchers.
- Maintains the City's unclaimed property reporting process and prepares disbursement to the State on an annual basis.
- Prepares monthly fiscal reports, special reports and annual reports and returns relating to assigned accounts.Maintains, reconciles and audits a variety of ledgers, reports and accounting transactions to ensure accuracy.
- Prepares Depository and Credit Card Servicing Bank RFP's and analyzes and recommends services to management.
- Assists with maintaining effective relationships with the credit card processors.Resolves credit card processing issues and works with City Departments regarding credit card issues.
- Prepares end of year audit work papers for assigned accounts.
- Assists Investment Officers with a variety of investment transaction tasks as assigned.
Other Important Duties:
- Assists City department heads with planning and monitoring of budgetary expenditures regarding credit card and banking expenses.
- Responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
- Travels to attend meetings, conferences and training.
- Stays current in GASB and FASB pronouncements and changes in the accounting profession.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- May assist with preparation of City's annual budget or supporting schedules; the City's Comprehensive Annual Financial Report or support schedules and work papers.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work hours is essential.
- Job Requirements
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of operational characteristics, services and activities of an accounting program including accounts payable, accounts receivable, investment reporting and financial reporting.
- Knowledge of Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) requirements and Generally Accepted Auditing Principles (GAAP) related to municipal finance administration and program development.
- Knowledge of Federal, State and Local financial policies, laws and regulations, including tax laws and investment laws for municipalities.
- Knowledge of general business practices in the field of finance and economics.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques of developing and implementing accounting systems.
- Knowledge of maintaining complex computerized general ledger systems.
- Knowledge of computers and related equipment, hardware and software for development and tracking of banking arrangements.
- Knowledge of municipal audit practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of City policies and procedures.
- Proficient in effective oral and written communications.
- Skill in tracking, monitoring, and reviewing various reports.
- Skill in resolving customer complaints and concerns.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports.
- Ability to analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Ability to research, analyze and evaluate new service delivery methods and techniques.
Preferred Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field and three (3) years of accounting experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Preference given to individuals with governmental fund accounting experience.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen, criminal background and motor vehicle record check.
- Must possess valid State of Texas Driver's License.
- Environmental Factors & Conditions/Physical Requirements
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Work is performed in an office environment.
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as typing, data entry and vision to monitor.
- May be subject to extended periods of intense concentration in the review of fiscal and accounting reports.
- May be subject to bending, reaching, kneeling and lifting such as retrieving files, records, and general ledgers.
Equipment and Tools Utilized:
- Equipment utilized includes personal computer, copier, calculator, fax machine, and standard office equipment.